View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 11:40am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
What's the difference between Strasburg and Dempster?
One plays for the Nationals, the other...

I assume you're asking why Strasburg didn't get suspended after being ejected for throwing behind Andrelton Simmons. It's quite simple, really; MLB didn't think Strasburg was trying to hit Simmons. Even some of the Braves felt that way.

Frankly, I felt that Marvin Hudson overreacted to Strasburg's pitches. For some reason, Strasburg suddenly couldn't find the zone, throwing seven straight balls, including the three wild pitches to Simmons. The first pitch to Simmons was a 55-foot curve that was way outside. The second went probably five feet behind Simmons. The third was closer but still behind him, and allowed a run to score.

Why would Strasburg try to hit Simmons and, in the process, allow a run and get himself ejected? Heck, the Nats need to beat the Braves every chance they get now. He's not going to try and hit a batter with runners on base. Besides, Strasburg had already hit Justin Upton in the previous inning, and that should have closed the door on the Nats' response to the Braves having hit Bryce Harper twice the previous game. If any additional statement needed to be made, he would've waited until Upton came back up.

I'm hoping Strasburg didn't just go Rick Ankiel on the Nats. He really looked completely lost that inning. As he walked toward the dugout after the ejection, he seemed more in a daze than anything else.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 11:42am.