View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 04, 2013, 08:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Almost all players will stand in their little shoulder width area on designated spot throwins. A large number of players probably don't know that the movement limits on a designated spot thrownin are actually more liberal than they believe. Seldom have I observed players taking the legal step to the left, or to the right, of the designated area, to avoid defensive pressure. I believe that the reason for this is that that have been told by parents, coaches, and officials, over the years, that during a throwin, other than a run the endline throwin, they most "not move", that, "Don't move" means, literally, that they must keep their feet in their little shoulder width area.
And obviously what you are saying to them is clearly not changing anything. And you claim "Don't move" should not be said and in your own experience nothing changes. I am not there, so you cannot blame that on me. And if you are telling people more, they must not be listening to you at all as I suggested.

Quote:
In addition, some, not a lot, but some, players, coaches, and fans, may believe that the inbounder in a designated spot throwin situation, must maintain some type of pivot foot within that little shoulder width area. I believe that the reason for this is that they have been told that by parents, coaches, and maybe some really ignorant officials, over there years, who have probably, in turn, been influenced by officials, over the years, saying, "Don't move".
Billy, I have said almost nothing most of the time and they still think that way. I never stated that I said this ever single time. Actually there is no reason to even say that on sideline throw-ins because there is no issue of the two types of throw-in options and players still behave similarily.

Quote:
There are many misperceptions, misunderstandings, and myths, regarding the rules of basketball. Where do these come from? Multiple sources, including a few, probably only a very few, from officials themselves. Who's going to clear up these myths? Officials. Will all these misperceptions, misunderstandings, and myths be cleared up in my lifetime? No, but I'm going to clear up as many as I can in the short time that I have remaining here on this planet. I feel that it's my duty as a basketball official, and as a guardian of the game.
They watch more TV and listen to commentators much more then they ever listen to us. If they listened that well, they would listen when we tell them to stop doing all kinds of things. How many times have I seen a player get warned or is talked to about something that might start from minor situations to big situations that really have influence on the game and you think they are that taken away by this one issue or one phrase. But for some reason you actually think this is a major issue and keep acting like this is the reason players do not understand what they can do in an designated spot or other types of throw-ins. That is really funny to me. Sorry, but it is.

Peace