View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 04, 2013, 05:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Proof ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And you certainly have not proven to me but in some paranoid mindset that someone actually believes "Don't move" means only that they cannot move literally.
Proof:

Almost all players will stand in their little shoulder width area on designated spot throwins. A large number of players probably don't know that the movement limits on a designated spot thrownin are actually more liberal than they believe. Seldom have I observed players taking the legal step to the left, or to the right, of the designated area, to avoid defensive pressure. I believe that the reason for this is that that have been told by parents, coaches, and officials, over the years, that during a throwin, other than a run the endline throwin, they most "not move", that, "Don't move" means, literally, that they must keep their feet in their little shoulder width area. We can even go back one generation, that those parents, as players, and those coaches, as players, heard the same, "Don't move", advice from some of those that officiated their games back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I know at least one (coach), the one that I had to sit down, who thought that, "Don't move", that he probably heard from other officials on my local board, either as a coach, or as a player, a few years ago, really meant "Don't move".
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Player asks me to back the defender up to give him three feet. I told him no, but that he can back up as far as he would like. He points to a spot three feet behind him and asks if that is ok. I told him yes and he could back up all the way to the wall if he would like. The idea seemed foreign to him. I think very few players understand this rule. Otherwise, they would back up more frequently to have a clear passing lane.
I have also had dozens of experiences, like the situation that JeffM experienced (above), over the past thirty-two years, most with Catholic middle school players, but a few with high school varsity players. Yes, we can blame their parents, and coaches, for poor instruction, but those parents, and coaches, had to get the idea in their head that the players couldn't move backward from somewhere, in some cases, I'm sure, from officials stating, "Don't move".

In addition, some, not a lot, but some, players, coaches, and fans, may believe that the inbounder in a designated spot throwin situation, must maintain some type of pivot foot within that little shoulder width area. I believe that the reason for this is that they have been told that by parents, coaches, and maybe some really ignorant officials, over the years, who have probably, in turn, been influenced by officials, over the years, saying, "Don't move". After all, "Don't move", is what the coach of a second grader says to his player who has picked up his dribble and now must decide what to do next. After hearing, "Don't move", from parents, coaches, and officials, over several years, in different contexts, players will just decide to not move, literally, when advised to do so by an official, even when, by rule, they are allowed some movement to gain a legal advantage.

Proof:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The occasional, incorrect, inbounding "travel" call, either from an ignorant official, or expected from an ignorant coach, or a fan. Maybe we've never observed it in person, but it's not a myth, it does exist, not often, but it really exists.
There are many misperceptions, misunderstandings, and myths, regarding the rules of basketball. Where do these come from? Multiple sources, including a few, probably only a very few, from officials themselves. Who's going to clear up these myths? Officials. Who else will do it? Will all these misperceptions, misunderstandings, and myths be cleared up in my lifetime? No, but I'm going to clear up as many as I can in the short time that I have remaining here on this planet. I feel that it's my duty as a basketball official, and as a guardian of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Maybe not the only source but why insist on being part of the problem when you can be part of the solution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
There is enough misinformation out there without us adding to it or confirming it. We should be seeking to correct it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 04, 2013 at 09:40am.