Thread: Charging rule
View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 02, 2013, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

I realize there's some difference between NBA/FIBA and now even NCAA is having their own rule so i split between with RA & without RA.

Because someone mention shooting motion is not just the moment the shooting takes place but also the habitual movement of a shot for a layup it'd be gathering a 1-2 step before the jump. So as long as Defensive has Legal Guarding Position before the offense goes airborne it's legal irregardless of the usual shooting habitual movement yes?

And can i see the RA as a rule to prevent the 2nd defender to get a cheap charge, and doesn't apply to the 1st defender, so if a guy comes flying from 3 point line into the zone D1 will get his Charging call on A1 as long as he established legal position inside the zone before A1 goes airborne?

However since RA doesn't prevent the 2nd defender from jumping to block, would D1 be called for a blocking foul if contact made should he jump up for a block instead of standing still for an "illegal" charge which he would be called for blocking considering he had legal guarding position but illegal since he is the 2nd defender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
To answer these in order...

1. Time and distance are not a factor in establishing legal guarding position on an opponent who has the ball or a stationary opponent who does not have the ball (NFHS 4-23-4a). Remember, always strive to use the correct terms.

1a. If an opponent with the ball is airborne the defender has to obtain legal guarding position before the opponent left the floor (NFHS 4-24-4b). As JRut mentions, the standard is different as of this season under NCAAM rules.

Regarding the RA, it's incorrect to say a defender cannot draw a PC foul in the area. Under NCAA rules:

The RA also doesn't prevent a defender from playing defense. A defender can try to block shots, etc. He/she just can't draw PC fouls apart from the situations mentioned above.

The addition of the Lower Defensive Box under NCAAW rules this coming season gives something back to the defense. If an offensive player begins her move inside the LDB, the RA doesn't matter.