View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 10:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Man View Post
*If I could add to your List:

1. After the timeout has expired and the horn has sounded to resume play, some refs shout to the benches "let's play ball" or "break up the huddle".
Is it really part of our job to "usher" the teams back on court by shouting such or blowing our whistle several times to make them resume play?

Lately, I have begun to just stand by the ball at the point of inbounding and slowly and dramatically starting a 5-second count. Usually a player sees this and runs out to inbound it.
So, that's what I add to your List: "Refs should not be ushering the play to resume when there are horns and assistant coaches to fulfill this function--it's not our job", correct?
We have a right to tell them what to do as we can use the RPP if they are not ready. So I do not find this even an issue if said word for word as you stated. Understand the reasoning for this list is that these things are usually incorrect or not supported by rule. Part of our job (at least in my experience) is to get them out of the huddle and if they don't, we use the procedures in place. It is called preventative officiating IMO.

Peace