Thread: U3 Button-Hook
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post

....I am suggesting we can be thinking umpires and consider better mechanics. Most that do have moved on....
I agree with you in theory...advanced umpires should be allowed to use advanced mechanics that are potentially better for the game and level they are calling.

Where this falls apart is, who or how is it determined which umpires are advanced? This is especially true when you have a collection of umpires from across a wide area.

Case in point..ASA 18Gold National a few years back. 40 umpires from all regions of the country. I posed the question to the UIC...why can't we (advanced umpires) use the advanced mechanics at this level?

The response I got back was...How do you know all of the umpires here are "advanced" umpires? We have three umpires here who have told me (UIC) that they have NEVER worked a three umpire game. Granted that should fall back on those that sent them to this tournament knowing that the majority of the tournament was going to be in the three umpire system, but the fact remains that had two experienced and advanced umpires been working with one of these three and tried to use the advanced mechanics, it would have screwed things up even more than they already were.

I don't necessarily like the ASA position of one set of basic mechanics for the entire umpire population, but I understand the reasoning behind it.