View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Man View Post
Also, thanks for the insightful comment that said "a foul can occur even if the player who is doing the boxing out shoves his body into a rebounder who has elevated behind him/her".
Note that this foul would be charged to the player "boxing out" and moving into and under the airbourne player attempting to grab the rebound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Man View Post
Another question, If I may pick you all's collective brain, is this:
When player A shoots and is airborne, then player b immediately turns their tush to box them out--is this a foul? The shooter must be allowed to land correct? without being impeded---I think this is afoul--am I right or wrong--and is it a player control foul or a free throw awarded type of foul?
A jumpshooter is NOT entitled to land anywhere he wishes. There is no such rule and people saying such are perpetuating a myth. So what is the rule? The shooter is entitled to return to the same spot on the floor from which he jumped or to land in any spot which was unoccupied by an opponent when he went airbourne. A defender can't move into a new spot AFTER the opponent leaves the floor, but he is permitted to maintain the spot which he had and the offense player is not permitted to come land on him.