View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Cannot answer for anyone else, but I would assume he meant that a tournament specific to sell international softball in the United States needs to be seen as an international game played under international rules and officiated by international umpires. It also offers the appearance, even though there is none in the case, of non-partisan officials indifferent to the countries represented.
I did mean to say that ISF dropped the ball. I have no issue with ASA uniforms being worn, but it should be an ASA tournament to do so. I seem to remember last year tuning in to the "Premiere Girls Championship' games being televised on one of the 'other' sports only channels and seeing the umpires all wearing ASA gear, to include the ball bags on the plate umpire.

Now admittedly, I notice umpires more than the casual viewer, but the 'mom or dad' who was tuning in late would think this was an ASA tournament. The same is true of this tournament, with ASA being worn by the umpires. The casual observer would not have known this was being played under international rules, they would only see another 'brand' prominently displayed.