View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 17, 2000, 07:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

And I was an evaluator at the Summer Games that Tyler (moose) is talking about.

I believe that it is 95% about experience. When I started officiating (basketball), I had very good judgement for a first year referee, but knew nothing of mechanics, etc... (my local board (at the time) was not very progressive). It took two summers at the MDP camp here to perfect my mechanics.

I think ability and experience are VERY closely related. An official on my local board has two NBA camps under his belt, and is a FIBA official as well. His biggest asset? His *ability* to draw from experiences which takes others years to learn.

There's no doubt that Tyler did very well at the Ontario Summer Games. In fact, one particular game he officiated, he and his partner (smile Tyler!) made 6 absolutely perfect PC calls. However, being exposed to situations is very important. You can talk all you want, but until you're on the court and something weird happens, it's all just theory. But there inlies a talent to have. To know the theory of officiating, and to apply it when it happens. You've got less than a second to make a call.

I think you need to find out about his officating past. Has he been to a camp? How did he get into reffing? Is his board slow to progress. It happened to me, and I pissed alot of peopel off when I started doing things my board never did before. Like a pre-game and shining my shoes.

I think someone recommended for an assignment after their 2nd year is someone you should *help*, unless you're frightened about your own game.

Just remember - it's about the art of officiaing, not the science of officiaing.