Thread: Rules Trivia
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 01, 2013, 03:20pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
The runner is obviously not on 2nd.
Why not? If a runner overruns first base, she is still considered to be at first. If she turns at a 90-degree angle into foul territory after touching first, are you suggesting she's no longer at first, but instead she's now between home and first?

There's nothing in the rules that states a runner cannot overrun other bases. If she does, she's simply susceptible to being tagged out, unlike the case at first. The question is: Is she really between bases when she overruns a base but makes no move in the direction of another base?

Take this as an extreme example: Runner from first overruns second, and peels to the right towards center field. What's her status? Is she between first and second, or second and third? Or is she still at second, and just put herself at risk for being tagged out?

Or take your OP, but she tries to do a headfirst hook slide on the left-center field side of the bag (because the throw is coming from F9), and she goes beyond the bag such that her body is left of the extended line between third and second. Is she now considered between second and first?

To address IM's question, I'm not justifying any belief. I just think there's a gap in the rule that covers this specific situation. If the overrun/overslide takes a runner towards another base, that's a no-brainer. I'm just asking what happens when the overrun/overslide goes away from any base.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker