View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Sometimes you have to understand what you are there to do. Umpire a game.

Both of the players threw their equipment out of frustration. Not as much with the umpires call as with the outcome of what they expected the call to be. GOOD players, that work hard in important games have emotions just like everyone else. Sometimes you as an official have to stand back and let that frustration happen, deal with it and move on.

If you can't, then your telling the rest of the world that you don't belong in that situation. You lack the confidence as an official, in controlling a contest at any given moment and you either need to eject someone because of a preconceived idea that it will make you look better, or it is the only way you know, how to handle a situation. You need seasoning and your definetly not ready to handle the game in question.
I disagree to a point. I certainly expect one-half of the players and coaches involved in a game to be frustrated or upset with any close call like this one. I also expect a certain amount of that frustration to come out. But throwing down the mask and glove crosses the line into showing me up and that is not something I am going to allow. Very few others can hear what is said, but the action of throwing the equipment is visible for all to see. That needs to be dealt with. I would have expected an ejection on this play.

With all of that being said, I also understand the "big game, big stage" side of the discussion and calling and managing the game the way your superiors instruct you to. It would certainly be interesting to hear the post game dissection of this play and the reactions to it between the crew and the NCAA observers.