View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
What they don't seem to understand on the "I think they had a better angle" nonsense is that if we have two umpires who saw the same event differently - the umpire who the call belongs to by default has the better angle and position - so you would defer to that umpire anyway... and since that's the guy who made the initial call, there's never reason to get help on "I think they had a better angle".
Story from this past weekend....

ASA tournament, I am BU. R1 on second, 1 out.
Batter hits a blooper near second base, no fielder can get to it before it lands, I'm anticipating a play to first when R1 decides to take off for third. I have taken a step in toward the infield when F4 retrieves the ball and throws to third. I move parallel with the base line, don't have the perfect angle, but see that the runner slides in to third before the tag, I look to see my PU partner coming up the line, hesitate to see if she has a call, then call the runner safe as PU looks at me and says...oops, your call. Defensive coach now requests time and comes to talk to me. Here is the conversation:

Coach: Can you check with your partner to see if she had a different angle?
Me: I know she had a different angle, coach.
Coach: I want you to ask her if she had a different angle.
Me: I don't need to ask her, coach. I know that she had a different angle.

He then has this deer in the headlights look and walks back to his dugout.

It is later reported to me by the TD (who is also our state commissioner) that I told the coach that I was out of position, but refused to go for help.....