Thread: Finally...
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 10:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Can someone give me some insight into the differences you see between calling the girls games and guys games that make girls so undesirable. Obviously the pace of play and style is going to be a little different but at least around here it's not so glaring that girls games are unpalletable. The boys game is more physical and faster but both genders can have great pace or poor pace and both can have skilled varsity teams and unskilled. Maybe its a regional thing but I wouldn't say our local girls games were that much less desirable then boys games.
I will only speak for me, but not only are girls games less athletic, but I think the expectations are a lot different. Coaches and players expect a lot of little contact to be called that they do not realistically in boys games.

But most of all one of the most frustrating things for me is when you work with officials that are used to calling girls games. Often times many of girls officials are not as athletic, not as talented and it is almost like they are relegated to working girls games rather than they were accomplished officials. That is certainly the case with males most of all. And it shows up big time when at camp season you see officials have to go tot camp for camp credit and you see officias have to see some rather decent boys teams and they are completely out of their league or calling the game. That does not apply to everyone of course, but I do not change the way I call the game that drastically from even high school to college. And I am not the kind of official that just calls fouls to make coaches happy either so I tend to get frustrated when a girl goes into 3 defenders and they call a foul when I will not penalize defenders that did nothing wrong.

Just my take.

Peace