View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Hang on a minute, Sander.
When You are able to answer the coach with something to the effect of "Coach, I was in the proper position and I saw all the elements of the play." - it's wrong to ask your partner for help.
Correct. However when you feel that by consulting your partner the unhappy coach can be cooled down, why not. You can even go over to tell your partner a joke.
How often do we get a coach come over to talk to us, just for show to his team? This coach starts with something like: "Blue, I don't have anything, but my team must see that I'm talking with you over this call. You were correct in though!" We can also do this...

In fact, I've done something like this with a catcher in our male-league. A batter, or runner was not happy with an action by F2. Which was completely legal and had nothing to do with unsportsmanlike behavior. So first I calmed down the offensive player, then I took F2 with me for a walk in foul territory towards right-field. I told F2 that I didn't had anything to say to him, but wanted the others to see me talk to him. He just had to say "Yes, sir..." like he got a warning. Which he did gladly, without a smile. That smile he gave me after the games, with a beer for me...

By reading the other posts about how the tournament was (badly) organised, I don't think I would appease and go over. In the Dutch competition, only 8 teams, appeasing can sometimes help you. Just as a joke with - and a smile for the coach can clear skies. You Steve, have seen how we, here in the Neth's, get (or not get) along with coaches and players.

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?