View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
The biggest mistake you've made this game was to continue the game. I.m.h.o. it wasn't a mistake to confer with your partner. It showed that the two of you are a team!
No, and that was the point of the post. To go to your partner just because you were asked to go is a forfeiture of responsibility and authority. You just as well hand the coach your indicator because from that point forward you will receive the same request on a close call and you are just setting yourself and your team up for problems if you or your partner say no.

If there is any, ANY possibility you may not have seen or missed a portion of the play, an umpire should be more than willing to ask for help. Doing so for shits and giggles, thinking it will get the coach off your back, ias was done in the OP, does not always appease anyone.

Quote:
When the coach got over the line you've tossed him. Good thing. When the UIC crossed the line the only thing you can do is walk away from the field. Mistake.

A ejected player or coach has to leave. No UIC, Director or President can (nor may) change that. The UIC made you look like a fool, was out of line, shouldn't interfere during the game. The umpires on the diamond are in charge during the game, the UIC after and before.
The UIC is out of line and I would have a serious time working for him again. Would I continue the tournament? Probably. What would I do every time someone had a question? Point him toward the UIC since apparently s/he is calling my game for me.

Quote:
I've had a similar UIC-interference last month. My partner and I applied a wrong base-award. We've followed the UIC in his ruling. Instead we had to to stick to our ruling and let the coaches file a protest. THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN TO ME AGAIN. Not in our National competition, not during ESF tournaments. Coaches may file a protest, UIC's may not tell umpires what to do during the game. Afterwards he can tell me what I've done wrong, so I can learn from it...
In many championship play tournaments (ASA) there is a UIC on site. There is usually nothing to file, simply tell the umpire you are playing the game under protest and let the UIC rule immediately. Unfortunately, in some larger tournaments where a UIC may not be readily available, the protest is accepted, noted and ruled on at a later time. Personally, and the previous has always been my experience, I'd rather the UIC get involved immediately while all parties are available with a fresh memory.