View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 22, 2013, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

You guys make some good points

Here's the reality of the play - NCAA POST SEASON (Regional, Super Regional & CWS):

1: Both players would have been ejected in a regular season NCAA game, however, this was not a typical regular season game. At this stage of the season, leashes are much longer (right or wrong) and that's what the NCAA wants. Many of you disagree with this (and I, to a certain extent, feel the same way), BUT if you want to work NCAA post season baseball, especially at D-1 level, you need to understand these things... even if you don't necessarily agree with them.

2: JB could have easily thrown them out and would have been totallhy justified ... HOWEVER, doing so, in this particular situation (ejecting the starting pitcher and catcher in the 4th inning of the CWS) would have drastically impacted the outcome of the game. Its very easy to have a knee jerk reaction and automatically dump both of those players in that situation (and rightfully so) BUT, fair or unfair, that's not necessarily in the "best interest" of THAT game at THAT particular time. (I know that sounds stupid to most of you but that's the reality of NCAA post season games in this day in age)

3. Dumping both of those kids would have been front page news and would have been one of the only things talked about after that game (ie, NC State loses after HP Umpire ejects Starting P & Catcher of game). We all know that's BS but that is how baseball people think and the media would have had a field day with it. One of the common criticisms of officials is that we need to let the "players decide the outcome of the game". Right or wrong, that's exactly what Burley did in this situation and I can guarantee you that he was praised by Gene McCartor and the NCAA "brass" after the game (despite what many umpires feel he should have done)

4. Players (or "student athletes" as they are commonly referred to, lol) often react on emotion and their behavior is held to lower standards because they are 'kids". Officials, on the other hand, are adults that are held to a much higher standard and expected to keep their composure at all times, regardless of how bad players and coaches act. Unfortunately, this also means that in certain rare situations, like the play we're talking about, we are expected to be "more understanding" of how important these games are to the "kids". Yes, I know, its a bunch of BS and an excuse that allows them to act inappropriately and get away with it. Again, this is a sign of the times because if I would have acted in that manner when I played ball growing up, my COACH would have taken me out of the game and my dad would have beat my a$$ when I got home.

5. I could go on and on but while all of you make good points as to why they should have been dumped... ultimately, I think Burleson made the right decision at that particular time, with those particular players involved and with the magnitude of that particular game. Don't get me wrong, he would have also been right to eject them but that decision may have not set very well with the NCAA people... the same one's that make the umpire selections and pay them almost $5,000 to officiate the CWS. Sometime, the saying... "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" is something you follow - even when you don't necessarily agree with some of the direction given.

Last edited by UES; Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 10:24pm.