View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 16, 2000, 08:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question I cannot tell you for sure but.......

maybe he was filling in? Maybe he was better than anyone else that was availible? Are you upset because he was a second year official, or are you upset because he was not a good official? I have seen guys that are 20 year vets, that I ask the same question and 2nd year guys that I would much rather work with. Not in all cases the 2nd year guy might be more willing to learn and might be not as stuck in his ways. I worked with a guy that was a first year in a JV game the other night, and I would work any varsity with him. And the two officials that were doing the varsity, well, I would rather have stayed home.

He might have been a bad official, but what does his experience have to do with his ability, and I really do not know what the class has anything to do with varsity ball. For the most part, varsity is varsity. But that is another discussion.

Quote:
Originally posted by jlfjr
I officiated a game with an official last night who is a second year official in a 5-A Varsity Ball Game.
I do not understand how this happened even though I have talked to my division rep. and both told me that if a person is picked by a coach in their second year that they will be given the game.
I understand a coach having confidence in a person but this is ridiculous to me.
This person did not know mechanics,did not have the proper jacket,shoes were not shined and the pre-game talk with the captains included a discussion of the white line being out of bounds.
Would somebody please give me a honest answer because I truly believe that this procedure needs to be changed.