View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I've seen a couple of MLB pitchers who, while going to the Set, will pick up their free foot slightly and put it back down repeatedly (about three to five times) before they finally come to the required stop. I think that's what the OP is describing.

I don't see how that really violates anything. It's not like they continue to do it after the hands come to the stop. And I really don't see how that simulates the start of a pitch or throw to a base.

Pitchers are given a little latitude to do quirky stuff when the go from the Stretch to the Set. I recall John Rocker tapping the ball against the inside of his glove as his hands came down in front of his body. Mike Mussina used to take a step towards home and lean forward with his upper body before he brought his foot back towards the pitcher's plate and stood erect. Nobody ever said anything about those moves under OBR.

As for FED, who knows. They balk the gorilla arm swing while the pitcher looks in for the sign, so they may feel this is illegal as well.
Mariano Rivera comes to mind with several toe taps on the way to coming set. I haven't seen him lately so I don't know if he still does it.