View Single Post
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 07:12am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
I asked the question because I have had batters hit by the pitch during the swing, but who had not committed to the swing.
Well, technically, you can't have both.

If you had said you had batters hit by the pitch while checking their swing, that would be more accurate.

Separate but related to this subject, what do y'all call when the batter and the bat get hit by the ball virtually simultaneously? In other words, you hear the ball make contact with the bat, but you also see the batter react because the ball also hit her hand?

If the batter doesn't swing at the pitch, I usually give her the benefit of the doubt and send her to first base, judging that the ball hit her hand first. But if she does swing, what do you do? Do you assume the ball hit the bat first, and rule foul? Or do you call the dead ball strike?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker