Thread: can't get games
View Single Post
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToReferee View Post
Do you suppose the association (not saying what that is) I'm currently registered with would be open to having two associations in the same area...somewhat competing against each other?

What about carving up the city into sections whereby I would do the assigning for some small area, while the existing group does the rest? You suppose that would fly?
Conceptually, there is nothing preventing you from establishing your own association or assigning group. If you had a stable of officials that would join you to get started, that could take some time. Certainly, getting any league or conference or AD to consider your new group for contests would be your biggest challenge without having significant exposure to those decision makers through previous contact or respected recommendations. Reputation plays a large role in the world of assigning and that respect is not just given out to the new option in town, it is earned from hard work, dedication, and skill sets that are obtained from years of working your craft.

I can assure you that running your own association, let alone being an assigner, is not as easy as you may think. Perhaps getting actively involved in the existing local association would bring more awareness if not valuable experience (or recognition) to you in a more positive manner.