View Single Post
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
(see my addition to Umpire Ernie's comment with the exact wording from the NFHS Case Book (2011).
There is a difference between the case play and this play, that I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not.

In this case, the following runner is put out for missing first base. While not technically a force out, this removes the force play on F3 per the defintition of a force play.

Think of it this way. What if we had this situation instead. Bases loaded, B4 hits a slow roller to F3. F3 fields, touches 1st base (retiring the B-R), then throws to second trying to get R3. The throw sails into the outfield, and R1, R2, and R3 all score. The defense then appeals that R3 missed second base. Because the following runner had been put out, there is no force. R3 is out for missing the base.

This seems to be a clarity of the rules issue. I personally think the ASA rule on this is clearer and is correct, and once again Fed has rules (as they do with many sports), that are not as clear as they could be.

As I have said, I can see both sides on this. I think the case play, even though it isn't the exact same ruling, makes sense. I also think it is inconsistent with the definition of the force play in 2-24.