View Single Post
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I would look to the definition of a force out. When the B-R is retired on the force out, the force is removed on R3. I think in this situation, the timing of the appeals becomes critical. I do agree with that last part about leaving the ballpark. I can see both coaches out on the field arguing this one. I don't see anything in 9-1-1 exceptions that would apply to this situation. The key rule here to me is the definition of a force out. Since the B-R's out, even on appeal, is on a preceding runner, the out of R3 is no longer a force, thus the third out is simply an appeal out for missing the base.
(see my addition to Umpire Ernie's comment with the exact wording from the NFHS Case Book (2011).

Quote:
9.1.1 SITUATION N: R1 is on second base, R2 on first base with one out. B4 hits safely to the outfield. R1 scores, R2 misses second base and is standing on third base when B4 is thrown out at second base. A dead-ball appeal is properly made on R2 for missing second base. The umpire rules R2 out for the third out.
Does R1's run count?
RULING: No. Since R2 was forced to advance to second
base, the appealed out at second base was a force out. No runs can score if the third out of an inning is the result of a force out. (8-6-7; 9-1-1 Exception b; 2-1)