View Single Post
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Illegal Pitch-Score?

Do they score? I was working the plate at a USSSA FP tournament yesterday. Runners on 2nd & 3rd, no outs when on a 1-1 count I put up the delayed dead-ball sign and declare "Illegal" on a pitch delivered to the plate. The batter hits the pitch, a slow roller to the pitcher, the pitcher picks-up the ball cleanly and looks back the runners at 2nd & 3rd but is late throwing the ball to 1st and the batter/runner is called safe at 1st.
Now, I know the rule for illegal pitch say:
-If the batter does not swing the pitch is declared a ball and the runners advance 1 base.
-If the batter reaches base safely and all runners advance at least one base, the play stands and the illegal pitch is cancelled.
-If the batter does not reach base safely, the coach of the offensive team has the option of taking the results of the play or accepting the effect for an illegal pitch.
But here's my question (I know you were wondering when I was going to get to it) if the runners advance one base on an illegal pitch, when the batter/runner reached 1st successfully but the runners did not advance on the play, do you still award the runners one base? So instead of them still being on 2nd & 3rd, they're now on 3rd & scored?