Thread: First Night....
View Single Post
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Follow-up

Thanks for all the replies.

Here is a follow-up:
""Turning shoulders" is not necessarily a balk. You must judge it to be a feint to first. Were the runners fooled? Were you? If not, let it go."
It is my understanding that if the pitcher is set he may not turn his shoulders to look towards a BR. Talked to UIC who was eval. me and he agreed that they were balks.

"What rules are they playing under in the league there that you're calling Balks in 9-10 yr old division?"
Well in the 9-10 yr old leauge they get 1 warning balk. You still call balk like normal but runners do not advance until the pitcher does it twice.

"Are they leading off?"
Yes and they are able to steal.

"Why are you chasing down a rundown between 2nd and 3rd when your responsibility as PU is the Plate?"
Because the rundown between 2nd and 3rd was the lead runner (no play at plate) so I was at 3rd to help my BU with a run-down. I then found out that he wasn't there to help me. I was able to keep a pretty good angle on everything and didn't want to have a call missed because of his screw up. I talked to him between innings about it and he seemed a little confused. UIC said that I worked my @$$ off on that stuff and I got a bonus .

"What rules are you playing under that on a dropped third strike, a batter/runner can advance in 9-10 yr olds?"
9-10 yr olds is the first division where this is allowed in that league. Anything younger and it is an automatic out. I don't agree with it but that's the rule. About 80% of the time the catcher drops the third strike.

"In FED, turning the shoulders whil in contact with the rubber is a BALK. However, at this level, I would give a few , "don't do that's", and let the coach take care of it."
I allowed several "don't do that's" and just looked at the coach...he nodded and would talk to the pitcher after a glare at me. I eventually jus thought that after getting thier "warning balk" and a few glances at the coach I had to call them because it was so obvious. I guess maybe the other umpires just haven't been calling them and the coaches weren't used to balks being called. The coaches on 1st and thrid were mad when they weren't called but while in the dugout they were irritated that we did call em...difficult situation.

Thanks again.