View Single Post
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
FED 8-2-6 The batter runner interferes with a fielder attemtping to make an initial play, interferes with a fielder attempting to throw the ball, intentionally interfers with a thrown ball while out of the batters box, makes contact with a fair bated ball before reaching first base, or interferes with a dropped thrid stirke.

FED case play 8-2-6 B3 has a count of 3-2 with no runners on base and two outs. On the next pitch B3 swing and misses. The ball bouinces off F2's shin guard and lands in front of home plate. As F2 moves out to field the ball, (a) B runs into her, knocking her down or (b) B3 unintentionally kicks the ball. Ruling: In both (a) and (b) , interference; the umpire calls "dead ball" and rules the batter runner out.

ASA 8-2-F-6 When the batter runner interferes with: a dropped third strike.

If the ball only made incedental contact and did not affect the play, I would say you have nothing. But, intent is not required, if the batter runner makes contact with the dropped third strike and interferes, they are out.
I disagree with the FED Case play.

The rule specifically says intitial play. The defintition of initial play 2-47-3 clearly states an initial play on a FAIR BATTER BALL.

There is also a difference between the caseplay, and the situation that is presented in the original post. The caseplay says the ball bounced in front of home plate and was kicked. The ball bouncing off the batter in the batters box is not the same as the player kicking the ball.

Interference would not be called on a situation in which a pitched ball (called a ball or strike) bounces off the catchers equipment and then hits the batter.

Personally in the stuation presented I think the 7-4-4 caseplay actually is more accurate.