Thread: First Night....
View Single Post
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CDcoach
Well I stepped into the umpire's shoes tonight. Had a double header with 9-10 year olds.

It all went pretty smooth. Coaches told me that I was the best they had this year.

They did question me calling as many balks as I did. Told them they couldn't yell "SWING" in the field (I'm assuming that's a league rule...don't think that's mentioned in any rule book ). And of course a few close calls that all coaches think they have a better angle on. The rest of it was due to me having a 14 yr old in the field who was tenative to do ANYTHING.

The balks I called were because pitchers came set and turned thier shoulders...constantly!

Also about this new ump. He wouldn't help me on anything. Run-downs...he would not take half of the play, so I ended up running back and forth...got tiring. One time I even had to run down to third base from PU and chase it between 2nd and third. That was pretty ugly.

And here is my question after my first night...
Top of 2nd inning 2 outs. Count is 2-2 pitched strike but catcher from my view looked like he trapped it. So F2 throws down to first, inning over. No big deal. After the game the board member on duty just asked about it. I said I had a bad view an that's a tough call. If you have a hard time seeing it how do you handle it?
Congrats on your 1st game Coach!

I have some thoughts and questions tho.

Questions first.

What rules are they playing under in the league there that you're calling Balks in 9-10 yr old division?

Are they leading off?

If not, why are you concerned with a pitcher turning his shoulders?

Why are you chasing down a rundown between 2nd and 3rd when your responsibility as PU is the Plate?

My thoughts.

As far as the rundown. Position yourself in foul territory between 3rd and home. You can see a swipe tag be in position to make a call at third, and also get back to the plate if need be. If your P isn't there to make his call at 2nd, let everyone go crazy on him, he will learn where to be the next time. Plus, you can still help out on the call if need be. If you're chasing, and there is a play at the plate and you're chasing to make a call, you are the one who is goin' to get the flack, especially when a run is at stake.

As far as the "SWING" batter, I don't allow it. Lil' League Rule 4.06 (2) (3). To me it is unsportsmanlike. Especially by the catcher when the ball is coming in the zone.

And to your question, "If you have a hard time seeing it how do you handle it?"

Wait! If you don't see it wait and let the players determine the play. If you don't make any call, they should know that they need to make a play.

And yet another Question. What rules are you playing under that on a dropped third strike, a batter/runner can advance in 9-10 yr olds?