View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 26, 2013, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
I believe many like myself understand that a starter could re-enter, but where it was the fielder entering for the DH that this burned him. I think that they are confusing the re-entry rule and the rule where the DH is burned.

Surprisingly, in my 10 years of officiating, this is the first time I have seen coach this change. I would guess many of my fellow officials here probably have not heard nor seen of this.
Interesting. It's a rather common tactic here - your strong but lumbering DH gets on in the 4th or 5th inning, you put in the speedster to run and then field, then if you need it you still get one more dip into the well and (effectively, not technically) pinch hit your DH for your speedster/fielder in the 6th or 7th inning ... and still get your speedster/fielder back in the field for the end of the game. It only really costs you if you A) run the speedster for the DH too early in the game, or B) go to extra innings - and your fielder/speedster ends up having to bat.

I see this several times a year, and often anticipate it when the John Kruk body type is the DH, and the fielder he's replacing is the speedster type.

West Houston Mike