View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehair View Post
What a silly riddle. When F1 came off the rubber on his fake to 3B he has disengaged from pitching requirements. When F1 is on the rubber/set he can:
1) continue engagement of his pitching duties and deliver a pitch;
2) step back off the rubber (disengage from his pitching duties);
3) step and throw/feint to make a play on a runner (disengaging from his pitching duties);
4) balk.

I did not know that in Fed, F1 could step towards 3B, not come off the rubber and then step and throw/feint to 1B legally. That might be the screwiest Fed rule CB play there is...good thing it never happens...knock on wood. The next (il)logical step in this Fed interp is after stepping towards 3B and not coming off the rubber, F1 can legally deliver a pitch. Please don't tell me that is true.
Its been there as long as I have been doing HS ball. in fact it used to be in the Rule book but I only see it in the case book now .

Case Book 6.1.5. it specifically describes this op and the fact that it is one base award if the pitcher does not "step off" and two base award if the does "step off". And yes I remember seeing it once or twice by a pitcher that played for Garden City HS in Long Island. I specifically remember it because my partner called the balk for not stepping off and we had to correct the call.