View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 22, 2013, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
Can you think of any ruleset in which the ball isn't live on a walk? Tee ball maybe.

I don't know about ASA, but American Legion uses OBR for this situation, and so does Pony-- assuming the pitcher is a player, and not a machine or coach.

Note to all: It is true the OP doesn't say if the pitch as an uncaught strike. He also doesn't say, for example, if there was umpire interference. Seems to me that we can assume that the OP would consider a uncaught 3rd strike as significant information and would have included it--especially since it takes poor play on the part of the catcher to try to get an out on an overrun of third base.
OK, so things changed since I worked those.

Yes, the ball is live on a walk... but there's no logic to the idea then that every runner is AWARDED their next base. If the ball is live (and it is), and runners are allowed to advance without liability to be put out (they are), where's the logic that should score the run when an out occurs before that run? (Yes, I know, the rulesets all have interpretations that go that way ... but they defy the internal logic of the rest of the rules).

West Houston Mike