View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the perception issue on calling the pickoff at first from the "C". Just last night, R1 and R2, so I was in the "C". Pitch in the dirt that the catcher blocked, but rolled a few feet away. R2 took a couple of steps but held at second, R1 took a couple more quick steps toward second, then started back as the catcher snapped a quick throw down to first. I took one or two quick steps and then made the out call on a play that was not that close - the tag was down and applied as the runner slid back headfirst. However, the OC was livid, not because he saw anything different, as he admitted he didn't have a good look on the play, but that "there's no way you can make that call from there (meaning the "C")!!!" I told him I was in the place I was supposed to be and that his runner was clearly out as the tag was waiting for him as he slid back, and that I had a good view of the play. His only retort was again that there was no way I could make that call from where I was. I told him his runner was out and turned and walked away. He proceeds to my partner and whines a little more, where my partner repeated almost exactly the same to the OC as I had, including the fact that his runner was easily out.

The next inning with R1, a soft liner was hit to F6 that looked like it might fall. F6 makes a nice diving catch, and fires to F3, who was off the base and had to make a swipe tag on the runner to double him up. A similar tag play, and actually more of a banger, but not one peep from the OC, presumably because I was now in the "B" and not the "C". Either that, or he realized what a rat he really is - doubtful, though.