View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
As you describe it there probably isn't interference. I think what I said, or at least I know what I meant is IF the runner gets hit with a batted ball (even if it is deflected by the pitcher) that a fielder is making an initial play on and by getting hit it interferes with that fielder making that initial play then the runner is out, by the rules I quoted. If the contact with the ball does not cause interference with a fielder making an initial play then they are not out.

In regards to "stretching" the initial play definition? I think I read it word for word. It specifically states if the ball is deflected by the pitcher but another fielder has a chance to gain contol of the ball that fielder is still making an initial play. No stretching, it's word for word.
So, a few scenarios. In all of them the pitcher deflects the ball toward the shortstop while R1 goes from 2nd to 3rd. And the third baseman is not in a position to make a play.
In
A) The runner hits the ball while the shortstop who was playing deep waits for it a few feet behind
B) The runner hits the ball a just in front of the fielder but without contacting the fielder or otherwise impeding the fielder
C) The runner hits the fielder while the ball is out of reach of the SS
D) The runner hits the fielder while the ball is about to be fielded by the SS

As I understand it:
A) Not interference in ASA. Even though the shortstop would have gotten the ball, the shortstop wasn't interfered with the ball was and unintentionally interfering with the deflected ball is not interference. NFHS interference. The pitcher's touch does not count, so we have interference with the ball before it passes a fielder. (That last glosses over the details). I'm not sure how you feel about this one from reading what you've said.
B) Same as A. You have interference here as I understand it because you don't think the being hit exception applies in this way.
C) Obstruction ASA, more judgment required NFHS. In ASA, the deflection took away the fielders protection. In NFHS, the fielder can still be making an initial play on the ball (deflection doesn't count) so we have judge if the SS was the protected fielder or if the ball was clearly going to pass the shortstop
D) Obstruction ASA. Interference NFHS.