View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Dave, I believe when it comes to interfering with a fielder making an initial play on a ball deflected by F1, the intent is to penalize a runner when she does something like bumps into that fielder.

Suppose with a runner at first, the batter hits a sharp ground ball up the middle, causing F4 to initially move to her right to field it. F1 deflects the ball and it heads back towards where F4 was originally positioned, so F4 stops on her tracks and starts moving back to field the ball. F4 is about ten feet behind the baseline from first to second as she moves parallel to that line. The runner gets hit by that deflected ball, and F4 is nowhere near that runner when it happens.

No way is that going to be considered hindering F4 while making an initial play. The onus is on the runner to avoid F4, not to avoid the deflected ball, and she shouldn't be penalized if she does just that.

I think you're stretching the definition of initial play to the point that it directly conflicts with the deflected ball rule.
As you describe it there probably isn't interference. I think what I said, or at least I know what I meant is IF the runner gets hit with a batted ball (even if it is deflected by the pitcher) that a fielder is making an initial play on and by getting hit it interferes with that fielder making that initial play then the runner is out, by the rules I quoted. If the contact with the ball does not cause interference with a fielder making an initial play then they are not out.

In regards to "stretching" the initial play definition? I think I read it word for word. It specifically states if the ball is deflected by the pitcher but another fielder has a chance to gain contol of the ball that fielder is still making an initial play. No stretching, it's word for word.

Last edited by DaveASA/FED; Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 07:26pm.