View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The lead off batter each inning is the current batter. The on deck batter is the one who follows her. I have always allowed both of them out of the dugout between innings, but no more than those two. Never been instructed otherwise.

We had a local 12u coach a few years back that wanted his entire team out of the dugout swinging bats between innings as an intimidation factor. We put an end to that pretty quick....
I think you are thinking the NCAA rule (which I prefer, actually). It is clear that between innings, two and only two people can be swinging bats on the field; the batter must be in foul territory and outside the batters box (and you can decide how far), and the (then) on-deck batter, to be in the on-deck circle.

So far as ASA and NFHS, I have a simpler way of looking at it, since there is no clear allowance like NCAA. Until I say (or can say; if not said, it isn't until I sweep the plate after the catcher throws down to 2nd) "batter up", no one is currently a batter [ASA 7-1.C(1), NFHS 7-5-3-a, and 2-5-3]; the first person to bat is still on-deck until that point. At the same time, if they stay over by the on-deck circle and not into the "space" to "time the pitches", I am prone to ignoring the second "on-deck" batter, similar to the NCAA allowance; just not more than that.