View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 05:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Rut, becoming a clinician and running a camp is about as hard as getting a plumber's license (meaning: if you have a pulse, you can get certified as a clinician and be a plumber - on and off the court. )
Actually becoming a clinician in our state is not easy as getting a license. A plumber or and insurance agent has to pass a test and then you have a license to work in that field. We have to be picked like someone picks you to work their games. One person picks the officials for the positions and he was a former D1 official and assigns high school and college, after the state approves the applications. I work both for that person BTW. Actually most camps are run by assignors of conferences for HS games and evaluation. The only run 2 camps. One I run in the fall for a class I developed for newer officials. The other I run with a clinician in another sport that we run for a statewide conference that is held by the IHSA. I am on the committee so I helped develop the curriculum that was asked for by the person over the Official's Department several years ago and we run a camp that gives newer officials the last opportunity for many to attend any level camp so they will get off of probation.

Many basketball camps are run by assignors, not clinician only like myself. Being a certified clinician mainly means you oversee the paper work for clinic credit and making sure that procedures are followed with the state in that sport. The state also will talk to us directly to get information out to teach mechanics and procedures the state wants covered at camps or to our associations. Like last year all clinicians had to attend a mandatory meeting and receive our clinician DVD with plays and situations the state wants addressed. I am on several camp staffs where I might oversee anything from schedules to fill in for someone that could not cover a court. Running camps are a little more than teaching officials. I wish that was often the only thing to do, but it is not. Many of the top camps involve State Final officials or college guys that are not clinician by the state, but have experience working and teaching officials and not going to tell people something totally off the wall. I was doing the same before I was officially accepted at that role. A little more than becoming a plumber.

Yes, fact do matter.

Peace