View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Jeff, based on the meetings I have attended and what I have heard from clinicians at camps, assignment guys, and D1 officials, this isnt the case with Adam's mandate that 2 hands on the ball handler be called every time. It has always been presented to me and been my understanding that the reason he went so far as to call this an absolute is to take out any judgement as far as rsbq on this type of play. He really wants this called every time. This is different than some of the other types of plays that are frequently on his video updates and seem to be described in a different tone. I am not arguing this is the best way to address this type of play, I am just saying it seems this is the way that Adam's wants these plays called.
And the context of the situations being addressed was perimeter play or post of play. I don't think he ever intended it apply to a situation where the "offended' player was about to start his shooting motion for an easy shot but for a defender happening to brush him with two hands as he went by....killing the easy shot.

And even if he meant ABSOLUTE for all situations, this just exposes the downside of absolutes. When you make it absolute, you're going to have unintended consequences. In this case, it penalized the shooter. Absolutes are certainly always defensible when applied but they are often bad ideas.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 03:19pm.