Thread: Professionalism
View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 07, 2013, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I recently was reviewing the rankings as provided by coaches and especially in the areas of professionalism. I was on both ends of the spectrum - either exceeds expectations or needs improvement. Let me also just say at the outset that I really hate coaches giving rankings on officiating crews - I am not a person who has been working in this area for 20 years, so not everyone knows my name like others. I am not sure how coaches can go back and evaluate officials when they don't remember their names. But thats another topic.

I am really struggling with this area and maybe because I am trying to define what "professionalism" means in the context of officiating. I did not have a single coach technical this year, in fact I felt that in most of the games I officiated, I personally did not have those situations where professionalism could be called into question. What's a little frustrating is that I actually felt overall this year, I handled coaches and players much better than in years past, yet my evaluation makes it appear that I got worse. The crews I worked with had very few problems, of course we had a coach here or there where we needed to take care of the situation, but for the most part it was a good year. I try to not put too much stock in this, but this is an area where its hard to read a book on, or study the rules more. Am I missing something or should I just let it go?
My views on professionalism usually have nothing to do with technical fouls. Are you hustling up and down the court, and getting in position? Are you officiating the game the same from beginning to end? Is a blowout officiated the same as a close game? Can I communicate with you or are you standoff-ish? On a foul, do you always give the mechanic in addition to the player number? Do you always make sure my team wins? Just kidding about the last one. Seriously, work hard, be consistent, and do all the little things.