View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 10:14am
Barely $.02 cents worth

To respond - should they have given a T to Schimmel when she squared up to Griner - absolutely -- because by rule, that's automatic. Why they didn't, I don't know because I don't know what the crew thought at that moment when it occurred. . .

We can say all we want on how the game could've been officiated better and what we left out there or what we didn't do out there, but at the end of the day, we all call what we see and there are times for ALL OF US, that we're going to see something that wasn't there and we're not going to see something that was right in front of us. . .

On a sidenote, in regards to mens' officials, I remember Kitts in the Western Kentucky-Kansas 1st round game stopping the freakin game during live play to address 2 players who squared up to each other and did nothing but talk to them, and then put the ball back in play, which by rule, you can't do because its essentially an inadverent whistle.

And then Corbett on the SD State-Oklahoma game disposing the ball to the Oklahoma player on a throw-in, he starts a count, the OK player loses the ball out of his hands, it goes live on the floor, and then Corbett blows his whistle, kills the play, takes the ball back and hands it back to the OK player, starts his count all over again like nothing ever happened. . .

But, I digress, because again, I was on my sofa, acting like I was all that and some future Final Four official.

In this era with media and everything being taped, you just can't do anything that can be looked at sideways because it gets exposed. So what we all know to be common sense and what might be better for the game we just can't do anymore because the rules have become as black and white as the stripes we wear thru the wonders of TV and DVD.

I think at the end of the day while we all post and critique, as a fellow stripe, my best feelings are with those officials because how those they do at those levels, regardless of what we all might think otherwise, is a reflection on all of us as stripes. . .