View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 09:40am
Barely $.02 cents worth

I'm jumping in way late on this, but here's a couple things:

1) To the guy's question (bgtg19) about why the officials came together at 16 seconds left. There was a throw-in and the ball was kicked by the defender, but the clock started. By rule, the clock can't start on an illegal touch so they had to go to the monitor to find out what time to put back on. They do not have PTS in the tournament, so that's why they came together to put it back to 16.7

2) Now, in regards to the 2 block/charge calls - they were both 50/50 and I can see where everyone felt they were wrong, but here's the dilly on this - the official who called both calls matched her plays on both ends. Now, you all might say that she matched plays that were both bad, but at the end, they were both consistent on what were similar plays. Either way, for all who saw the next play, Baylor stole the ball, went to the FT line and made both to go up 1 with 9.1 secs to go.

3) The foul on Griner was obvious at 2.6. Now, should the center official had a first whistle on that play and by rule with womens' primaries - absolutely, but either maybe she didn't have an open look (maybe she just had a butt and back), and albeit the foul didn't look right or confident from the lead, the guy saved THE FREAKIN GAME by making a gutsy call that looked like he was waiting for the center official to have a whistle on it.

Its funny because we're all Final Four officials from our sofas or our living rooms or whatever place we're watching the game, and all of us who put on stripes have had plays where we go with our gut, we go back and look at tape, and then we bite our lips.

I'm sure those officials looked at the tape and they know they should've called more fouls, but regardless of that, the classless comments by the Baylor coach after the game gives no justification to the fact that Louisville shot almost 60% from the 3-pt line and if she would've never gotten down almost 3 TD's in the first place, she wouldn't have to go on a pissing rant about displacing blame on the stripes, when in fact, she should've gotten on her team about not playing perimeter defense.

Ok, back to just reading your interesting posts and I'm off my soapbox cameo. . .