View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
I respect your opinion Rut. However, to say that he just said, "that's awful" is simplifying the play. He was absolutely reaming the trail and then stood saying "that's awful" four times knowing full well that everyone in the gym was focused on him during the free throws. I see people throw punches at each other for far less "disrespect" in public, but somehow we officials think that it's OK for someone to publicly denigrate us like that.

I agree that it isn't new or surprising. I do think change is coming.

The NBA's "no tolerance" crackdown is one positive sign. I've seen multiple articles from John Adams about officials needing to have the courage to put up with less from coaches. I am constantly hearing about how sportsmanship is getting worse every year at every level from junior high to college. At some point, the pendulum will go back the other way.

I actually think that some of the impetus might come from the coaches who can control their behavior. They really get tired of watching a jackass on the other bench play the fool without getting penalized.
Have to say I agree with this somewhat. I do think that part of this is we, as a whole, also have to shift our mindset in terms of reacting to technical fouls. Too often I am seeing officials criticized by observers or partners for being "too quick", or having to explain whether "there was a way to deal with that without calling a T". Now I'm not really one to talk, I have a pretty slow trigger. But if we're going to "crack down" appropriately, part of that process has to be less second-guessing of T's that are called - aside from ones that are obviously officious or unnecessary, of course.