View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
It is difficult from that angle to see if the third step starts before the ball is picked up though it looks that way from here but from my view it looks like he lands left-right- then goes and puts his left foot down again. Now if the ball is out of his hand before he lifts the left then obviously its good. IMO it looks like he's still holding the ball while he takes most of that/ if not all the third step.

That may just be a local application difference. We've been asked to be certain the ball is out the hand before the backfoot comes up, anything close in high level games we are expected to call the footwork. (And yes preseason high school and university games were a mess until coaches and players adjusted.)
Wouldn't you want to apply the opposing philosophy? Don't call a travel unless you are certain that the pivot foot was lifted before he released the ball.

Are you in Canada? Canada Basketball's memo last year to tighten up on travelling was taken to extraordinary lenghts by some officials. I still only want to calll travels when I'm certain. If I'm guessing, i'm guessing it's legal.