View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
Just focused on the shooting foul. I don't see the lead having good position at all on this. Game situation is clock is under 3 seconds. I think should've been all the way cross the key there to have a good angle on the play. If there is a cross court pass to someone on the other side then the clock's gonna expire.
I think you have to consider how the play got there. My guess (and it doesn't fully show it on the video) was that it was a full court press and he was probably coming down the other side as the play developed. I think he had a good view of what needed to be seen...far better than the camera angle.

While some people like to think there is some magical opaque wall on the far lane line that keeps a lead from having a good look at anything across the lane. It just isn't so. Some plays are harder to see, but not all and the good 2-man official will know when he has a good look and when he doesn't even if he can't get across.

All I really want to know was whether he had a sight line between the players and was the distance reasonable.

In this case, he wasn't any farther from the point of contact than a normal trail would have been. He was somewhere between 15' and 20' from the play. The trail would usually be just as far. And, being a transition play, he was probably far closer than the trail. 15-20 feet from a point of contact is about the norm.

What about the angle he had. Was it between the players or was he straightlined? He had pretty much a textbook angle through the players as they came together. His view of the play was uncompromised.

Could he have been closer? Sure. But, would it have given him any better view of the play. Only if he was nearsighted and couldn't see more than 10'.