Thread: Side by side...
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
The corollary to this: "Hold your spots" as the R enters the circle. I used to "help" my partners at half time by explaining the actual rule. No more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
That annoys me too. Not enough to say anything to anyone, though.

Except that there is an element of truth to that one. It may not be precisely accurate but there are movements that are illegal.
I remember our rules interpreter teaching jump ball administration. He taught us the rules (e.g. that "non-jumpers shall not move onto the center restraining circle" or "change position around the center restraining circle") but he also indicated that he had no problem with using "hold your spots" prior to the jump ball.

He considered it acceptable "preventative" officiating to avoid having to call a jump ball violation to start the game and to get the game underway without incident. If someone backs directly off of the restraining circle (legal), you just don't call a violation. Much like an official may verbally warn someone to "stay out of the lane" to avoid making a marginal call. Of course you don't have to "stay out of the lane" -- it's not technically correct. But it can be helpful at times.