View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 03:23pm
Administrator

I don't know if my post is going to help settle anything here.

First, I reviewed the thread the Adam had referenced earlier in this thread and was surprised that I had not commented in it even after BillyMac had requested for responses from veteran officials who remembered the Lack of Sufficient Action rule.

Second, in the older thread (Nov. 2011) I believe it was M&M Guy gave a number of rules references that correctly stated that our situation is not a delay of game situation.

Third, the best way to describe our situation is that once the ball becomes Live, one team is deliberately committing a violation in order to force their opponent to play offense in a certain way and the team committing the violation is doing it every time the ball is made Live again after the penalty for the violation is enforced.

Is this a TF for unsportsmanlike conduct? I don't know. Teams commit fouls to stop the clock and make their opponents shoot FTs in an effort to get the ball back. Is this an unsportsmanlike conduct TF?

Of course if this were a soccer game we could issue a Yellow Card (Yellow Card for those that can't make out the yellow lettering_ for persistent infringement and award an IDFK to the free throw shooting team, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio