View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
all of the above posts went through my head when I initially responded (in fact, I changed my post a couple of times before hitting "submit"). I came down on the side of a double violation.

I think the "ignore the second" is in place because the committee thinks it's unreasonable for someone in a lane space NOT to react to someone else moving in early -- it's similar to the "only the fake is penalized" reasoning.

In this play, there's no reason for the offensive player to react. So, I'm penalizing him/her, too.
Again, that is written without the consideration of the RoP situation. It simply doesn't consider what may or should happen when the RoP is in effect.

In any case, the player in the second place who moves after the ball is live hasn't actually occupied the lower space, they've violated by leaving heir own space by breaking the plane of their lane space before they can ever get into the other lane space. And for a while, they're in both as they're moving. In other words, they've already violated before they get to the other space.