View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:54pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Disagree completely that there "isn't anyway the L can make this call" or that the C has best opportunity to see contact on this play. The L should have already been refereeing the secondary defender and while the initial defender is there, the L still has a great look at the play.

The C, on the other hand has the ball handler, initial defender, and two other players between him and the contact. Thus he is not likely at all to be able to pick up whether or not the secondary defender has LGP. So to me this play is another example that supports the NCAAM philosophy of having the L having this in their primary.

And as for your guess that the C didn't work for a better angle because he felt the L would get it, that comes across as a convenient way to criticize a philosophy you don't necessarily agree with. I'd bet that the C didnt work to get a better angle because he got stuck watching the drive to the basket and then stayed high because it was so quick.

Either way someone should have had a whistle on this play and the positioning of all three officials, especially the L and C has room for criticism. And with the positions they were ultimately in, the L had the best look and should have had a relatively easy PC. He then compounds it with a marginal foul call on the defender.
Disagree all you want to...the L did not move to a position where he could see that play, so there is no way he could make that call. That's what I said before, it's what I am saying now. Should he have moved-yes. Already said that, too. No way in the world the C should have stopped referring that play, and no way in the world the C should have stopped moving to get an angle on that play. So what exactly are you disagreeing with?

And I am not criticizing the NCAAM philosophy here, just criticizing an earlier statement that the L is the "ONLY ONE" who can have a whistle on this play.