Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious.

Lost Whistle
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
That's a nice philosophy, but to say it is an absolute that the L makes this call is to set up a situation exactly like what happened in this game.

The initial defender is between the L and the ball handler, so there really isn't anyway the L can make this call. The person with the best opportunity to see the contact on this play is the C, and he doesn't do anything to put himself in position to get it...obviously just guessing here, but I would bet that the C didn't work for an angle because he thought that the L would get it.

Had the L closed down/pinched, then maybe he would have gotten it...but the C should never just stand there and let the play go thinking the L will get it.
Look at this play AGAIN. It's the SECONDARY defender who takes the contact. This is the PERFECT example of why the LEAD has to officiate this play.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Anybody could have had a whistle. Somebody should of had a whistle. Nobody had a whistle. Everybody got downgraded.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's a nice philosophy, but to say it is an absolute that the L makes this call is to set up a situation exactly like what happened in this game.

The initial defender is between the L and the ball handler, so there really isn't anyway the L can make this call. The person with the best opportunity to see the contact on this play is the C, and he doesn't do anything to put himself in position to get it...obviously just guessing here, but I would bet that the C didn't work for an angle because he thought that the L would get it.

Had the L closed down/pinched, then maybe he would have gotten it...but the C should never just stand there and let the play go thinking the L will get it.
Disagree completely that there "isn't anyway the L can make this call" or that the C has best opportunity to see contact on this play. The L should have already been refereeing the secondary defender and while the initial defender is there, the L still has a great look at the play.

The C, on the other hand has the ball handler, initial defender, and two other players between him and the contact. Thus he is not likely at all to be able to pick up whether or not the secondary defender has LGP. So to me this play is another example that supports the NCAAM philosophy of having the L having this in their primary.

And as for your guess that the C didn't work for a better angle because he felt the L would get it, that comes across as a convenient way to criticize a philosophy you don't necessarily agree with. I'd bet that the C didnt work to get a better angle because he got stuck watching the drive to the basket and then stayed high because it was so quick.

Either way someone should have had a whistle on this play and the positioning of all three officials, especially the L and C has room for criticism. And with the positions they were ultimately in, the L had the best look and should have had a relatively easy PC. He then compounds it with a marginal foul call on the defender.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:54pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Disagree completely that there "isn't anyway the L can make this call" or that the C has best opportunity to see contact on this play. The L should have already been refereeing the secondary defender and while the initial defender is there, the L still has a great look at the play.

The C, on the other hand has the ball handler, initial defender, and two other players between him and the contact. Thus he is not likely at all to be able to pick up whether or not the secondary defender has LGP. So to me this play is another example that supports the NCAAM philosophy of having the L having this in their primary.

And as for your guess that the C didn't work for a better angle because he felt the L would get it, that comes across as a convenient way to criticize a philosophy you don't necessarily agree with. I'd bet that the C didnt work to get a better angle because he got stuck watching the drive to the basket and then stayed high because it was so quick.

Either way someone should have had a whistle on this play and the positioning of all three officials, especially the L and C has room for criticism. And with the positions they were ultimately in, the L had the best look and should have had a relatively easy PC. He then compounds it with a marginal foul call on the defender.
Disagree all you want to...the L did not move to a position where he could see that play, so there is no way he could make that call. That's what I said before, it's what I am saying now. Should he have moved-yes. Already said that, too. No way in the world the C should have stopped referring that play, and no way in the world the C should have stopped moving to get an angle on that play. So what exactly are you disagreeing with?

And I am not criticizing the NCAAM philosophy here, just criticizing an earlier statement that the L is the "ONLY ONE" who can have a whistle on this play.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Disagree all you want to...the L did not move to a position where he could see that play, so there is no way he could make that call. That's what I said before, it's what I am saying now. Should he have moved-yes. Already said that, too. No way in the world the C should have stopped referring that play, and no way in the world the C should have stopped moving to get an angle on that play. So what exactly are you disagreeing with?

And I am not criticizing the NCAAM philosophy here, just criticizing an earlier statement that the L is the "ONLY ONE" who can have a whistle on this play.
Pretty clear what I am disagreeing with as stated in my earlier post. You said there is no way for the L to make this call because the initial defender was between him and the ball handler. I disagree with that- the L still had a great look at the play. And I agree that the L should have closed down more but disagree that even with the position he had that there is "no way" he can make the call. He could and should have.

I also disagree with your statement that the person with the best opportunity to see the contact on this play is the C for the reasons stated in my earlier post. So not sure why it's hard to understand what I'm disagreeing with.

And it's my mistake if I made the assumption that you disagree with the philosophy of the L having the primary on this. But nobody has said that the L is the only one that can have a whistle here. I believe what twocents said is the the L is the only one that can accurately officiate the secondary defender. Big difference there.

Last edited by VaTerp; Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 05:04pm.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

The biggest problem is not if the NCAAM or NCAAW coverage is better (I like NCAAW ) it's that NOT ONE of the three was in position to referee this play. L should've pinched, C should have at least been FTLE (probably another step or two down since this play originated from his primary I believe he should have stayed with it) and T should have been at least at the 28ft line and could have came with a strong whistle and taking a few steps toward the basket-he actually might have had the best angle. Not one of them was in position to referee anything that happened with less than 10 seconds on the clock in a close ball game. To me that is the biggest issue.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Anybody could have had a whistle. Somebody should of had a whistle. Nobody had a whistle. Everybody got downgraded.
DALLAS (AP) The Big 12 says officiating errors were made at the end of regulation before No. 6 Kansas outlasted Iowa State in overtime on Monday night.

The league said Tuesday that "appropriate measures will be taken" against the two officials involved, including an adjustment of "the number of future assignments."

The Big 12 did not identify the officials or the plays in question.

Kansas's Elijah Johnson drove into the lane and got tangled up with Iowa State's Georges Niang with less than 10 seconds left. No foul was called, and Niang was then whistled for fouling Johnson on the floor. Johnson sank two free throws to force OT with 4.9 seconds left.

Kansas won the game 108-96.
STATS Hosted Solution | News Story - Big 12 admits officiating errors in Kansas win - NCAA Basketball - Basketball
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 06:34pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Pretty clear what I am disagreeing with as stated in my earlier post. You said there is no way for the L to make this call because the initial defender was between him and the ball handler. I disagree with that- the L still had a great look at the play. And I agree that the L should have closed down more but disagree that even with the position he had that there is "no way" he can make the call. He could and should have.

I also disagree with your statement that the person with the best opportunity to see the contact on this play is the C for the reasons stated in my earlier post. So not sure why it's hard to understand what I'm disagreeing with.

And it's my mistake if I made the assumption that you disagree with the philosophy of the L having the primary on this. But nobody has said that the L is the only one that can have a whistle here. I believe what twocents said is the the L is the only one that can accurately officiate the secondary defender. Big difference there.
Ok, I get it. I said the L couldn't have a good enough look at the play to make the call, and that he should have pinched to get a look. And I said the C should have kept moving to get an angle on the play. And you disagreed with those things. Ok.

Interesting that the article posted only says that two of the officials will be disciplined...wonder why the third is not included in that?
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Putting aside the issue of who should have made that call, what about the fact that the refs saw the play, but froze on it, knowing that there was only 10 seconds left. It takes guts to make that call (although not much since it appeared to be a no-brainer).

I still think the biggest travesty was the terrible call a few seconds later with the call on the kid who had the Kansas player lying on him after getting steamrolled! There was no reason for that call, especially since the pass was made out anyways.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 06:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicodork View Post
Putting aside the issue of who should have made that call, what about the fact that the refs saw the play, but froze on it, knowing that there was only 10 seconds left. It takes guts to make that call (although not much since it appeared to be a no-brainer).

I still think the biggest travesty was the terrible call a few seconds later with the call on the kid who had the Kansas player lying on him after getting steamrolled! There was no reason for that call, especially since the pass was made out anyways.
One guy worked a Final Four several times and a National Championship game on top of that. Another guy I am almost certain he did as well and worked the NCAA Tournament several times. I do not think courage was part of this call being made or not. Maybe someone pass on it not seeing the entire play and looking for someone else to call it, that is possible. But the lead does not have the background the others do and he passed on the call and according to the NCAA he is the guy to get that call. But I think that has little to do with this situation. I think it was just a play that either was a surprise to those involved or passed on because they felt it should not be called for whatever reason. But I would not want to accuse anyone of not having the courage considering they all have been on national TV multiple times over the years and in much bigger settings.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, I get it. I said the L couldn't have a good enough look at the play to make the call, and that he should have pinched to get a look. And I said the C should have kept moving to get an angle on the play. And you disagreed with those things. Ok.

Interesting that the article posted only says that two of the officials will be disciplined...wonder why the third is not included in that?
Not sure if you are intentionally trying to twist things around or what. As I stated more than once I agree that the L should have pinched and that the C should have worked for a better angle. But they didnt.

So what I disagree with is your statements that there was no way the L could see the play or have a whistle given the position he was in AND I disagree with your statement that the C is the person with the best opportunity to see the contact on this play.

It is interesting that that the 3rd official was not included. Would have been nice had he come in and saved the crew but he's the least culpable of the three IMO.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Not sure if you are intentionally trying to twist things around or what. As I stated more than once I agree that the L should have pinched and that the C should have worked for a better angle. But they didnt.

So what I disagree with is your statements that there was no way the L could see the play or have a whistle given the position he was in AND I disagree with your statement that the C is the person with the best opportunity to see the contact on this play.

It is interesting that that the 3rd official was not included. Would have been nice had he come in and saved the crew but he's the least culpable of the three IMO.
+1

Peace
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

+1 The play needed a whistle no matter who had it. It was absolutely a crew saving call.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:40pm
big jake

Smile

Looks like Tom and Bert will have a date or two open in the next few weeks and will be out of the Big 12 tournament. What else can Shaw do to them?