View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 01:53pm
This IS My Social Life

I Witness One Just This Past Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
We've seen this story before... Would love to read some personal stories of outstanding sportsmanship that you have witnessed.
This past Tuesday's account I witnessed still puts a tingle in my spine when I think about it.
Boys' varsity. Local ultra-competitive (some might say hyper-competitive) coach kept a semi-handicapped player on his team all year. Presumably this kid shows up to give it his all during practices in spite of slightly shriveled right arm and mild club-foot which keeps him from running full-speed with all the other players during warmups.f I've had this team about three times previously and don't recall this player ever taking the floor.
In the closing minute of a decisive win in an away gym about 5/8 full, he puts the kid in.
First pass with about 40 seconds goes his way on the left arc....left-handed attempt--nothing but the floor and OOB. Crowd responds with a sympathetic "ugh......", sorta, if you know what I mean.
Oh well, it would have been a nice thing to see. But alas......
Less than 3 seconds to go, the kid is out of the right wing just four inches inside the arc, mildly guarded. Pass from across court comes this kid's way and he manages somehow to catch it one handed. Crowd on its feet, both home and away fans. Defender of home team, perhaps sensing the significance of the moment, shies away just enough for the player to launch a wonderfully-arcing shot. Horn sounds. Swish.
Wanted to give him a "three", but didn't. Wouldn't have mattered much anyway.
Entire gym, both home and away fans, rush the court as we escape the pandemonium enroute to the lockerroom.
The cheering didn't die down for a good minute or so.
Still gives me a tingle as I recount it, unembellished, exactly as it happened.