View Single Post
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

I hate to admit it (not really), but I've called Ground Rule Doubles, Home Runs and vice-versa on more than one occasion. You know the field . . . short 4' fences; no background. Coaches yelling, "You've got to be kidding!" Fans yelling their usual obscenities and optometric comments, etc. And I've had outfielders tell me that the ball actually did go over on the fly . . . after I've already given two bases to the batter. As an umpire, you've gotta live with what you see and call. In the situation given, I'd tell the youngster, "You held it long enough for the tag, son." and be done with it. Or, "If you did, then I blew it, son. I thought you had it."

It's for the very fact that we ARE human, that makes baseball umpires and the game of baseball itself, such an interesting sport. The game is made up of nine innings, tons of pitches, lots of plays, many coaching decisions . . . all of which contribute to the outcome of the game. To say that a particular call changed the course of the game is illogical . . . each call, right or wrong, is what makes the game.

Jerry