View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
You've provided two extraordinary circumstances that, without delving into rulebooks right now, have specific mandates in the codes that deal with them. I'm sticking to the basics that you would routinely see during games.

We'll just have to A2D on this. Like I've said before, during the course of a game, I've never accepted projected substitute batters, projected courtesy runner entries, etc. etc., and I've never had a coach complain to me when I've asked him/her to wait until the substitute actually enters the game.
Even extraordinary circumstances must follow the allowable rules.

With that being said, there is a difference between CAN and MUST. In the injury scenario, only NCAA requires that the coach make the immediate substitution, therefore MUST. In either NFHS or ASA, the coach CAN make the substitution immediately, or when that particular spot is of consequence (batting or taking a defensive position). In the latter two cases, it is allowable, but not mandatory.
In the ejection scenario, there is a MUST for ASA and NCAA (not NFHS). NCAA you cannot play short handed under any circumstance (which covers the injury case as well), ASA cannot play short handed due to ejection.

Ergo, you may not see these scenarios, but these are examples that show an allowable rule on substitution, that any legal player may enter the line up without immediate participation. If the coach gives you a legal change, make the change, report it to the proper people and play on. It doesn't have to be complicated.