View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:58pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
I guess we are just seeing two different things here. I agree A still says what you quoted. However, I read that simply as "When the coach wants the player to enter the game they tell the plate umpire (4-6-A) Once that is done they are officially in the game (4-6-B)." I don't read or see anything else there. Tell me when you want them in the game and it's done they are in the game at that point.
So, it's your position that when the coach comes to you and says, "Blue, I want substitute Suzie to bat for starter Stacey when Stacey comes up this inning," Suzie is now officially in the game. And you're going to announce that to the opposing coach and the official scorer.

But then Suzie, who was due to bat seventh in the inning, never comes anywhere near the plate. So when the coach says, "Blue, I'm putting Stacey back on the field, and since Suzie never batted for her, it's not a re-entry, right?" you're going to tell the coach that Suzie WAS in the game, even though she never got an official appearance, and that Stacey burned her one re-entry. Is that correct?

Well, I'll never let that happen.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker